Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pigeon Problems-- RoadDog's News and Observation


The November 14th Chicago Tribune had an article about the pigeon problem in US cities. Besides rats and squirrels, and now, apparently some coyotes, pigeons have adapted themselves to living in urban areas better than any other non-domesticated animal. The tall buildings are an excellent substitute for the canyons they inhabit in the wild.

Whenever I go into Chicago, they are everywhere. Some won't even move until you almost step on them.

And, there are a LOT of them, and even more all the time. Many cities are trying to control them, even from removing their eggs, birth control, to using birds of prey to swoop down on them. In Brooklyn, NY, city councilman Simcha Felding has proposed an ordinance that would make it illegal to FEED pigeons and punishable by a $1,000 FINE if you break the law.

This proposal has pigeon-lovers up in arms.

But, what are you going to do. Feeding the pigeons only increases their numbers, but I'm sure they can forage for enough food in the garbage. Of course, the very worst thing they do is leave their droppings all over everything, especially statues, which they consider to be their very own private bathroom.

I remember being in a hotel in Edinburgh, Scotland, and right across the road was a statue of Sir Walter Scott, author of Ivanhoe and many other Scottish books. The body was black from all those years of early industry, but the head and shoulders was a striking white from you-know-what. Another time, I was in St. Mark's Square in Venice, Italy. Now, if you want to talk pigeons, this has to be the largest concentration of themin the world. I was surprised to see all the open air eateries. I don't know that I'd like to eat out on that square.

Of course, I never had the pleasure of a pigeon dropping on the head, and I'm sure if it ever does happen, I will be a bit more anti-pigeon.

I Don't Mind a FEW Pigeons...But.... --RoadDog

No comments: