Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, August 1, 2008

A Good Weekend-- Part 1

Last weekend was a good one.

Friday, after hydrotherapy at the hospital in McHenry, I drove one of the most beautiful drives in the area, Bull Valley Road, over to Woodstock. Talk about your tunnel driving; where the trees form a canopy, plus all the beautiful homes.

I went to the Woodstock Theater (the one featured in the movie "Groundhog Day") and paid the $4 matinee price to see "The Dark Knight" which was enjoyable. I didn't think there could be a better Joker than Jack Nicholson, but, I was wrong.

The annual Woodstock Music Festival was underway, not to be confused with the famous one out in New York. Back in 1969, I actually drove out to Woodstock after I heard my favorite band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, was playing. I had the wrong Woodstock, however.

Listened to the last couple songs of one band, then took a walk around the historic square and talked with some of the people who used to live at Village Cove with Frances when the place was assisted living. Now, it is strictly apartments. I wouldn't mind living on that great square when the time comes.

Came back to the festival site, which is in the parking lot next to the theater, and saw my favorite local blues band, Howard and the White Boys. Howard is black and the other three members are white. We've been following Howard and his band since the late 70s back when they used to play at Andy's in Dekalb. (This is also where we first saw Mr. Myers and their great Caribbean sounds, a group we saw a few weeks ago during the Taste of Antioch celebration.)

If you like blues, this is a band you'll want to see. They did some jamming, but not a lot. I love the blues, but, for some reason, blues bands find it necessary to jam most songs when they play. I am not a fan of jamming.

Saturday Up Next. --RoadDog

No comments: