Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Where Were You August 3, 1968?

Listened to good old Bob Stroud do his weekly Rock and Roll Roots Show earlier today and he featured the music and news from this date 40 years ago. I was preparing to be a senior at Palatine High School in Palatine, Illinois. I was sports editor of the paper, the Cutlass, and the yearbook and considering a possible career in journalism, if I didn't end up as a teacher. I was still dating Liz, with whom I am about to have a 35th wedding anniversary.

I was also beginning to think about the college I wanted to attend. College was even more important in 1968 because, if you didn't have a high draft lottery number, you were most likely going to Vietnam when you graduated.


WORKING FOR THE KING AND THE GALLOYS

I was earning about $1.25 an hour working at the Burger King on Northwest Highway near Hicks Road and having a great time. Owner Bob was more like a big kid himself and would sometimes participate in our shenanigans, including the infamous ice/water fight on the roof.

During the day, the night crew would go up to Honey Hill in Wauconda for an afternoon of fun and frolic in the water. Bob would get mad when we reported for work and were worn out. "I know where you people have been, but it will make no difference. I don' care how tired you are. You're still going to work and WORK hard.

Right, Boss.


SONGS I ESPECIALLY LIKED

The number one song on WLS and WCFL was "Hello, I Love You" by the Doors, probably my favorite Doors song.

Others favorite songs on the radio:

Sunshine of Your Love
Sky Pilot
Journey to the Center of Your Mind
Indian Lake
Jumping Jack Flash
Born to Be Wild
Pictures of Matchstick Men
In-a-Gadda-da-Vida
Magic Bus

Takin' a Trip Back. --RoadDog

No comments: