Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Top Songs in Chicago-- August 8, 1968

At the beginning of the month, Bob Stroud took us back to the songs that were popular in Chicago 40 years earlier. I want to tell you, these songs brought back memories. Which, after all, is a major thing a song should do.

Here is the list with my comments.


SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE-- CREAM
SWLBR-- CREAM-- Hard to believe three guys couldmake this much sound. Besides CCR, this was the only group I bought every one of their albums when they came out. I first heard them from their "Fresh Cream" album while visiting my family in North Carolina.

LIGHT MY FIRE-- JOSE FELICIANO-- a little Latin flair.
SPANISH CARAVAN-- DOORS-- these last two kind of tied in together
PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE-- RASCALS
I'M A MIDNIGHT MOVER-- WILSON PICKETT-- One of my favorite soul singers. The Wicked Pickett.
DO IT AGAIN-- BEACH BOYS-- Going back to the good old days back in the good old days.
FRIENDS-- BEACH BOYS
SKY PILOT-- ERIC BURDON AND THE ANIMALS-- This song always reminds me of going to NC. LOve the first words and the battle sounds.
SLIP AWAY-- CLARENCE CARTER-- Dr. CC before he got down and dirty.
DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME-- MAMAS AND PAPAS
INDIAN LAKE-- COWSILLS-- This song takes me back to Honey Hill in Wauconda where most of the Burger King crew would go during the summer.
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE MIND-- AMBOY DUKES-- Was that the Detroit Wildman, Ted Nugent?
DOWN ON ME-- BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY-- Better known as Janis Joplin

More to Come. Songs Were Much Shorter Then. --RoadDog

No comments: