Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, April 13, 2009

Where Were You April 5, 1968? --Part 2

Continued from April 9th.

(SITTIN' ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY-- OTIS REDDING-- recorded in Memphis at Stax-- (My absolute favorite sould guy. Unfortunately, released after his death. What could have been?)
CRY LIKE A BABY-- BOX TOPS-- Recorded across town in Memphis at American Studio-- (Who says white guys can't sing soul? A very under-rated group.)

I GOT THE FEELIN'-- JAMES BROWN-- great standard classic by him-- (Hey, the Godfather of Soul, Please, Please, Please.)
SIMON SAYS-- 1910 FRUITGUM COMPANY-- from funky to faulty, it's all here. (I don't care who knows it. I am a BIG fan of Bubble Gum Music. What a great name for a Bubble Gum group. Early Boy Band stuff.)

MONY MONY-- TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS-- Brand new in your radio. It was misprinted on a local radio station's survey 41 years ago this week as "Many Many." Loses something, doesn't it?-- (Hard to hear this one and not think about the "special" Billy Idol-era words everyone would say. Once, I was deejaying a junior high dance back then and the kids kept begging me to play this song. I finally broke down and played it after warning them that I would stop the song immediately if they said those words. I played it, they did, and I did.)

LOVE IS ALL AROUND-- TROGGS-- (They did something BESIDES "Wild Thing.")
TAPIOCA TUNDRA-- MONKEES-- "B" side. A great one by Michael Nesmith. (Is this a psychedelic name or what?)

LADY MADONNA-- BEATLES-- "A" side-- (What's so surprising about having a Beatle song in a survey in 1968? Or, 1967? Or, 1966, for that matter?)
THE INNER LIGHT-- BEATLES-- "B" side. Sounds like it could have come straight out of the soundtrack for "Slumdog Millionaire," but it is the Beatles' George Harrison.

All Sorts of Music on the Teen Surveys Back Then. More Memories to Come. --RoadDog

No comments: