Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Facing Down a Blizzard-- Day 1-- Part 2

Continuing with yesterday's pre-bliz stuff. January 31st.


WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH...AND A GOUGE

The tough go to a movie. I saw the hilarious "Dilemma" with two of my favorite actors, Vince Vaughn and Kevin James. Those guys are f-u-n-n-y!!! It was snowing heavily when I got out of the show. Had the bliz gotten here early?

What I saw afterwards was not so funny, though. The BP station in Fox Lake, Illinois, was at an outrageous $3.04 at 1 pm on my way to Menard's. Coming back at 3:30, it was $3.20!! Now, I call that a gouge. Why? Somebody wants to make obscene profits again. Oh yes, there's that blizzard thing coming in and problems in Egypt.


THE SLOWEST LADY-EVER

Went home and put the 2-cycle oil in the gas container for the snow blower as I was about out of what I need for that bliz thing. We drove to the Citgo in Spring Grove to get a gallon of gas to mix with it. It is probably not a good idea to go to a service station right before a major bad weather event is predicted to hit. I found out the hard way.

Then, fifteen minutes went by. Let me explain. Traffic was backed up considerably on Spring Grove Road and I had to wait to get up to the entrances to the station. And the stop light on US-12 definitely favors traffic on that much more heavily traveled road. When I did get up to the first entrance, it was blocked by a truck.

Had to wait some more between the two entrances. I saw an open pump. Oh Boy!! I'll get my gallon and our light just turned green. Finally!! Oh, no!! A lady in an SUV is waiting to turn left into the station and the guy two cars in front of me lets her turn in front of him.


NO PUMP FOR ME

What a nice guy. Who says civility and chivalry are dead...BUT, she proceeds to MY vacant pump!!

There are no open pumps so I wait. She gets out, inserts credit card and starts pumping and gets back in her vehicle. She pumps...and pumps...and pumps some more. How low was she and how much gas does her tank hold? Maybe its full and she is just listening to a favorite song on those hearing aid things people put in their ears these days.

Wow, two pumps just open up. Wait, somebody's behind me and blocking me. Two cars get the pumps. Wait, the car in front of Forever Lady just pulled away and the guy behind me is gone. Whip, zizz and I pull around her and get to the pump to put in my measly little gallon of gas. And I got there just as a guy pulls off 12 to get that pump.


STILL $3.08

I should mention that our little Citgo station is notorious for always having one of the most expensive prices anywhere in the area, usually at least ten cents more. But it was at $3.08 before I started my ordeal to get that gallon of gas. I kept having visions of the price jumping to $3.30 while I am waiting.

It didn't. At least one break for my fun fifteen minutes.

I got my gas. Finally.


MY REWARD

Then, it was to the Dill Pickle restaurant across US-12 and a great deal on a pizza: 18 inches with sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms and onions for $6. Mondays are half-price pizza.

That helped ease my bad mood.

And, Forever Lady WAS STILL THERE at the Station When I Filled Up My Gallon of Gas. I Forgot to Look to See If She Was Still There When We Left the Pickle. Might Have Been. --RoadDog


TIMES CHANGE: 1978-- Disco // 2010-- Costco

No comments: