Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Back to 1962-- Part 2

Back in 1962, I turned 11 and at this point was in 5th grade in Greenville, Illinois. We were just about to move to Illinois as my dad had been transferred to Quaker Oats' main office at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. I was not happy about the move at all, but there wasn't anything I could do.

Actually, a big reason was that my social studies book had one picture of Chicago in it, and it was of tenement slums, which is where I thought we'd be living.

Anyway, 'Fessa John Hook played a lot of songs that were "Honorable Mention" in his four hour show. After all, those songs were short and 40 would not take up the full time slot.

Here are the "Honorable Mentions":

WHEN MY LITTLE GIRL IS SMILING-- Drifters
I FEEL GOOD ALL OVER-- Fiestas
I'M BLUE (THE GONG GONG SONG)-- Ikettes

A SHOT OF RHYTHM & BLUES-- Arthur Alexander-- Little-known, but one of the best R&B singers. After all, the Beatles covered two of his songs.
FRANKIE AND JOHNNY-- Brooks Benton

PANAMA CITY BLUES-- Larry & the Loafers (a real regional hit down at PCB, Fla.)
SLOW TWISTIN'-- Chubby Checker & Dee Dee Sharp

THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU-- Ella Fitzgerald
WHAT'S YOUR NAME-- Don and Juan

I'M ON MY WAY TO ATLANTA-- Freddie King
SITTIN' ON THE BOAT DOCK-- Freddie King

Love This Studd, Man. --


EVER WONDER...Why abbreviated is such a long word?

No comments: