Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, July 4, 2011

JSIS: Riverview-- Great Lakes Naval Station Turns 100-- John Hancock's Signature-- Last Vietnam Draftee Retires

JSIS-- Just Some Interesting Stuff


1. Riverview-- The Tribune ran an article on Chicago's great Riverview Amusement Park with its famous Bobs roller coaster (that was my first roller coaster ride-ever and for a long time, my last as it about scared me to death). Hard to believe it closed way back in 1967.


2. Great Lakes Naval Station-- I see that July 1st marked the 100th anniversary of the dedication of this navy base in North Chicago, Illinois. Over the years I have known a lot of people from the base, including P.J. who deejayed with me for several years.

I used to deejay at Toby's in North Chicago which was a Navy hangout. I also deejayed on base for several functions.


3. John Hancock-- Apparently, the reason he signed his name so large was because he was the first to sign (and he didn't sign on July 4th, nobody did). He didn't know the others were going to sign so small.


4. LAST VIETNAM DRAFTEE RETIRES-- ...From Army! Command Sergeant Major Jeff Mellinger retired after a 39-year career in the Army. Most draftees served their two years and out. Guess he found himself a home.

All of these stories will be covered in greater detail in my history blog
http:cootershistorything.blogspot.com.


I Was in the Marines So I WOULDN'T Be Drafted. --RoadDog

No comments: