Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Reckon You're Never Too Old to Learn How to Spell

Today, on my Civil War blog, I learned that I did not know how to spell the word masonry. All these years I have been spelling it masonary. And I was Sure I was spelling it correctly. I write a lot about masonry forts of the era. And, we live in a brick house, which technically could be classified as masonary, er...masonry.

Then, there was the old clipper ship/scotch called Cutty Sark which I was so sure was spelled Cutty Shark.

Even worse, once while teaching in my class, we were discussing Niagra Falls and I wrote it on the board. A student raised their hand and said that I hadn't spelled it correctly. Oh yes, but I had. after further discussion, I looked it up, and the student was right and teacher was wrong. Nothing to do with the sex aid. There are three "a"s in the word, not two. Niagara.

Then there was the time I put the Congradulations for a newly married couple up on the great sign at the Holiday Inn at Wheeling Northbrook, Illinois. At the time this was a part-time job and I was teaching. A person stopped and said it was spelled "Congratulations." Bo doubt a lot of people drove by on the busy road and thought to themselves, "Some idiot doesn't know how to spell." But, then, no doubt there were others who didn't notice.

Living and Learning in the USA. --RoadDog


YOU MIGHT BE FROM CHICAGO IF...You know what lake-effect means.

No comments: