Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Where Were You November 4, 1972?-- Part 1

Back then, we were getting ready to vote in the election, just two days off.  It was Democrat George McGovern against Republican Richard Nixon running for his second term.  Bob Stroud went back to November 4, 1972 and devoted his whole Rock and Roll Roots Show on WDRV to it this past Sunday.

This was to be the first election I could vote in.  I kind of got ripped off as the voting age had been lowered to 18, but that was after the 1968 one.  If I remember, I liked McGovern, but believe I voted for Nixon.  I was a senior at Northern Illinois University and busy taking nothing but education classes so I could do my student teaching in the spring.

GO ALL THE WAY--  RASPBERRIES--  Debuted right at the end of the summer of '72.
DON'T EVER BE LONELY--  CORNELIUS BROTHERS AND SISTER ROSE--  A poor little fool like me.

SUMMER BREEZE--  SEALS & CROFTS--  Brand new, debuted this weekend.  Should have come out for the summer, though.  (Mighty poor planning if you ask me.)
TIGHTROPE--  LEON RUSSELL--  (Quite the talented guy, but never really made it big.)

PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE--  TEMPTATIONS--  (No, Keith and Mick were a rolling stone.  How could Motown have produced a finer number than this?  It had it all.)
SITTING--  CAT STEVENS--  From Catch Bull At Four.  (And one of my favorites by him.)

So, Just Forty Years Ago.  --RoadDog


MAXINE WONDERS:  If people from Poland are called "Poles, then why aren't people from Holland called "Holes'?"

No comments: