Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Hey, Kirk, We're Not Forgetting

I have to admit that I had never heard of ESPN's Kirk Hernstreit before Sunday, but this is one "absolute joke" who won't soon forget.  Knock my team, knock me. Some "sad state for college football!!"

And I thought sports loved a cinderella team.  If NIU doesn't fit that I don't know what does.  I, too, was mightily surprised to make a BCS bowl, so sure I was that the Big Guys that the Kirkster so loves would never let us in.  I mean, yes, we earned the right to be there even playing by their rules which are designed to keep mid-level programs on the outside looking in.

And, I admit, the only Big Guys we played this year, Iowa and Kansas, and to a lesser extent Army, were not that good and we just barely beat the last two and lost the first and only game to Iowa in the first effort of the season (I'm sure we could have beaten them later in the season).

But, Toledo and Kent State were no slouches and ranked above us in the Top 25 when we played them near the end of the season.

We earned the trip.

And, it begins to make up a little for the 2003 season when Northern went 10-2, and beat Iowa State and Maryland when the Terps were ranked.  Also, believe it or not, NIU beat a ranked Alabama that year as well.  And, Northern did not go to a BCS bowl.  Well, for that matter, we didn't go to ANT BOWL.

How's Them Apples?  --RoadDog

No comments: