Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, December 17, 2012

The Unspeakable Happens in Connecticut

Evil came to Newtown.

Just horrible news from that town on Friday.  I first heard about it while on the internet and then that twenty had been killed in a store before I went to a movie.

Horrifying.  It especially hit home to us because Liz and I were both teachers.  When we started teaching in 1973, this was something that would be inconceivable.  Yeah, you might have a junior high kid smoking in the bathroom or maybe drinking alcohol...but never something like this.

In my last years of teaching we had lock down practices.  I had to turn out the lights, make sure the door was locked and get my students huddle into a corner of the room that could not be seen by someone looking in through the door window. 

I always got in trouble because there was just no way I could squeeze 29 kids into a corner of the room where some of them wouldn't be seen by someone looking real hard into the room.  Maybe if I had some on others' shoulders.  And, they always picked the practice to be held during my worst class of the day.  I could keep them under control fro 15 minutes, but after 45 minutes if would be like a volcano getting ready to blow.

Er have a lot of friends still teaching and that was a big topic of conversation over the weekend.

Just Something I Could Never Imagine.

No comments: