Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, December 2, 2018

53rd Anniversary of "Rubber Soul" Release: My Memories


Bob Stroud is doing a Root Salute to this album on his Rock an Roll Roots show on Chicago's WDRV 97.1 FM as this album was released 53 years ago tomorrow.  This album and the one before it "Revolver," marked a major change  in Beatles music from their earlier work.

I remember back before Christmas 1965, I was about to buy my first album ever and was in the record store looking at albums and this was one I was looking at.  It ended up being a choice between this album or Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits.  I did a lot of thinking before going with Herman because this one had a whole lot of hits.  (I later bought "Rubber Soul.")

Albums back then cost $2.99 which was a huge amount for me to spend.  That was essentially six weeks of allowance or 150 pop bottles.  (Two cents a bottle going door-to-door.)  I had to get max bang for my buck.

Little did I know that those two albums would lead to a life-long obsession collecting albums, 45s, cassette tapes, reel-to-reel tapes and CDs.

Earlier, Bob Stroud played "Rubber Soul's" "I'm Looking Through You."  A great song that whenever I write it down on paper, I always absolutely HAVE to put little dots for eyes in the "o'" in the word Look.

I'd sure like to do that right now.

Funny How Music Can Bring Back Memories.  --RoadDog


No comments: