Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Death of President George H.W. Bush


Yesterday I watched the coffin of our 41st president taken from the U.S. Capitol building to the National cemetery for his funeral service.

It was a service befitting someone of his great stature and with much military formality.

It was interesting to see all the living presidents in attendance.  Bill Clinton seemed to be talking Michelle Obama's ear off.  That is, until Donald and Ivanna Trump came in.  The Clintons looked straight ahead and did not acknowledge the Trumps.  I thought that was more than a bit petty.  This is not the time to do that.

I was happy to see that the Obamas did greet the Trumps.

The eulogies were wonderful and son George Bush's especially hit home.  I don't know how he didn't break down before he did.

Yesterday afternoon we went to some of our favorite watering holes and I was trying to think what I could wear to honor President Bush.  I settled on my USA baseball cap.  But when we got to Sunnyside, my buddy Mark came in wearing a USS San Jacinto tee shirt and a USS George H.K. Bush hat.

His father served on the USS San Jacinto with George Bush during World War II and Mark had given me a USS San Jacinto hat.  I didn't think about it, but wore it today.

No comments: