Saturday, August 3, 2019
WLS Top 40 for August 4, 1969-- Part 5: "Give Peace A Chance"
For a little extra fun, try guessing the artist of the song in the headline.
That's Right, FIFTY years ago.
20. GREEN RIVER-- Creedence Clearwater Revival #2 A cut from one of those three incredible albums released in 1969. Another of their many #2s. If I had to name a favorite 60s band, these would be them. My fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi, at NIU used to play this album at all of our parties as we had a frat song to the tune of "Lodi."
19. GOOD OLD ROCK & ROLL-- Cat Mother & The All Night News Boys #21 Frat Rock at its best. If this DON'T get you ta movin', nothing will. New York quintet. Their only Top 100 song. You know what they say.
18. I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN-- Tom Jones #6 Just a heart breaker if there ever was one. Same melody as Sammy Kaye's #11 hit "Wanderin' " from 1950.
17. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE-- Plastic Ono Band #14 How many times did I hear this song from 1969 to 1973? I still don't know what that drum sound was. That's Tom Smothers on guitar.
16. MARAKESH EXPRESS-- Crosby, Stills & Nash #28 That vocal harmony!! Their first hit. The song that hooked me on CSN. How many weeks before Woodstock? And they were what?
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "Well Take Me Back Down To Where The Cool Water Flows, Yeah." Answer below. --RoadDog