Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seventh Anniversary

A day that surely shook us to the bone.

That beautiful blue fall sky with the horrible black smoke coming off the top of those buildings. Not a scene I will ever forget.

I always feel sorry for people born on that day.

Listening on the web to 94.9 FM the Surf out of North Myrtle Beach right now. They had an article on their site about it. A group in Myrtle Beach is on the roadside holding flags right now, and do that for two hours, the time it took for the buildings to come down. They've been doing it ever since.

Billy Smith also played a religious thing on it and then segued into a perfect song to deal with the absolute horrific day, "Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Good choice.


MY MEMORIES

I was teaching at Magee Middle School in Round Lake, Illinois, that day. I did not find out about it until after first hour at 8:45 when Mrs. Curran came down the hall and whispered it to me. My classes spent the rest of the day listening on the radio as I couldn't get the TV to pick up reception. I located the sites and Israel and the Middle East as well and discussed how this came to pass.

We'd just gotten computers in the rooms, but I couldn't get any sites because of demand.

Watched the event in Mrs. Zumbrook's room then went to Freddie's in Fox Lake where I finally got to watch it on TV. Very subdued and very angry people.

A Day Etched in Memory.

No comments: