Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

40th Anniversary of Kent State Today


On May 4, 1970, Ohio National Guard troops at Kent State University opened fire on an Anti-Vietnam War rally and killed four and wounded eleven others. This ignited protests and violence at college campuses all across the United States.

I was a freshman at Northern Illinois University at the time. I didn't like the war, which I thought was never going to end. It started when I was in 7th grade and went on all through high school and showed no signs of letting up. Actually it was getting worse. A few days earlier, President Nixon had announced that the US was attacking Cambodia to cut off supply routes.

This set off a new wave of protest and marches.

The war was particularly looming for males my age because of the draft. There was a lottery where every year boys turning 18 had their birthdays placed in a drum and pulled to give a number. The lower your number, the more likely you were to be drafted.

I was too young for the first lottery and was #31. I was hoping that since this was very low, I'd get a high number for when it counted. Not with my luck. I was #22. That meant go to college or Vietnam. Since I wanted to be a teacher, college was definitely already in my plans. But a lot of boys were there to avoid the draft.

To Be Continued. --RoadDog



My wife said, "Whatcha doing today?"
I said, "Nothing."
She said, "You did that yesterday."
I said, "I wasn't finished."

No comments: