Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, July 6, 2012

What it Was Was the Los Mets

With I hat top to Andy Griffith.

A little while ago, while at Stormy Monday on Fox Lake here on the Chain of Lakes, I started watching our Chicago Cubs play some team called Los Mets.  I know that was their name because it was on the front of their uniforms. 

I must admit that I have never heard of a MLB team called Los Mets.  I looked it upon the standings and there was no team by that name.  Hell, I even Yahooed and there wasn't a team by that name. Probably should have Googled, but I'm a bit spiteful to those guys.

What I thought it might be is a new expansion National League team from Mexico as I know of a band called Los Lobos which is Hispanic.

Anyway, the Cubs and Los Mets were tied 2-2 when we left and went to the Legion on Nippersink Lake for karaoke.  The Cubs went way up while we there and finally took an 8-3 lead when we got back home and I went downstairs to Margaritaville.

Good thing they had that many runs as they needed all of them.  Up 8-5 in the 9th, ace reliever Marmol came on and after one out, proceeded to walk the next three Los Mets batters and then a single made it 8-7.  A line drive caught by Marmol also doubled the guy off first and the Cubbies won over this new NL team. 

After doing some thinking about it, I think it must be some sort of Hispanic thing.

Who Are the Los Mets?  Inquiring minds Want to Know?  --RoadDog

1 comment:

Empoprises said...

Was the National Basketball Association the first league to perform such promotions? It obviously gets a little controversial when a league has an Arizona team (although from what I recall, Los Suns/Los Sols/whatever embraced the uniforms wholeheartedly).