Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, April 15, 2013

I Was Pulling For You, Milt: Milt Wilcox's Near Perfect Game 30 Years Ago Tonight

This has to be the greatest Major League Baseball event I have ever seen in person.   Thirty years ago today, Detroit Tiger pitcher Milt Wilcox had a perfect game going into the 9th inning against my Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park.

And I was there.

I have never forgotten that game, but had forgotten the actual date, but knew it was early in the 1983 baseball season.  Last night, while looking through the new book I bought at Five Below in McHenry, Illinois, "White Sox Journal" by John Snyder, a must-have for Sox fans, I happened upon the 1983 season and figured I'd see if they had the date for this near-perfect game.

The book did, and it was today.

Milt Wilcox had a perfect game going into the ninth inning and a 6-run lead.  I had long since quit pulling for my Sox and was 100% behind Wilcox.  One out, two outs and Sox manager Tony LaRussa puts in Jerry Hairston to pinch hit.  He was our best pinch-hitter.  And that is just what he did.  Clean single.  The next player flied out and the Sox got to lose a 6-0 game.

I did not get to see my perfect game.  I didn't even get to see a no-hitter.  All I got was a one-hitter.  Not bad, but I could have had a perfect game.

When Hairston got the single, two people behind me started cheering.  That is the nearest I ever came to getting into a fight at the old ballpark.

Idiots.  --RoadDog

No comments: