Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, April 8, 2013

What Were You Doing Spring 1967?-- Part 1

Yesterday, Bob Stroud's Rock and Roll Roots Show on WDRV was a Time Warp--  The Mad Men Time Warp, back to the spring of 1967 since that is where season 5 ended.  Of course, Sunday was also the season 6 premier.  It just kind of fit.

And, best of all, he did the full three hours on the spring of '67, instead of splitting the show between two dates like normal.

Back in the spring of 1967, I was finishing up my sophomore year at Palatine High School in Palatine, Illinois.  I had been on the wrestling team until I broke my foot in practice.  At least that got me out of Latin class early, before Mrs. Johnson got to ask me the hard translation that I hadn't done.  And, it got my buddy Kevin out early as well.  Hey, somebody had to carry my books.  She's always say, "Mr. Hatch, just wait until you get that cast off!!"

We were living in Winston Park subdivision, a huge housing development,  across the street from St. Thomas.

Of course, I was somewhat fearing taking my drivers test.  Poor Dad had been taking me out for practice in the family 1964 Bel Air, with its "wonderful" manual transmission which I was having serious trouble mastering.  Dad and I would come back shaken, not stirred.

BREAK ON THROUGH--  DOORS--  From their debut album, their first single (And I always thought it was "Light My Fire.")  The title of the "Mad Men" premier tonight is "The Doorway."
LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER--  ROLLING STONES--  Their latest release was a one-and-a-half hit because of the subject matter of this "B" side.

Enjoyed That Season Premier Last Night.  --RoadDog

No comments: