Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Labor Day Weekend 1967 Time Warp- Part 2


Continuing with Bob Stroud's Salute to that time 40 years ago. Again, the comment right after the title and group is Stroud's. My comment is in parenthesis.

Hour 2

All You Need is Love- Beatles-- right where it should be in the Summer of Love

To Love Somebody- Bee Gees-- off their first album called "The Bee Gees First" released in August. Incredibly soulful tune from Robin, Maurice, and Barry. (At first, I thought they were the Beatles. Another song off that album, "(When the Lights All Went Out in) Massachusetts" became one of Liz and my "Songs" along with New Colony 6's "I Will Always Think About You." We always get goo goo-eyed when these two play. Several years back, we were on vacation in Massachusetts when "Massachusetts" came on the radio station we were listening to. Thought that was kind of neat.)

You're My Everything- Temptations--- Great ballad with lead vocal by the late-great Eddie Kendricks and, of course, David Ruffin in there. (If it was Motown, I liked it. They really knew how to make a great song. And then, there were those great stage moves. As I am typing this, I'm listening to The Surf, out of Myrtle Beach, Beach Music you know. They just put "My Girl" on. I'm moving to the beat on the chair. Liz is looking strangely at me.

Never My Love- Association--- from the "Insight Out" album.

Zip Code-- Five Americans--- Brand new and reminding us to put it on our letters (as that just became the law. If you want to get it delivered you had to put those five digits on it. One of my favorite 60s songs, "Zip, Zip, Zip Code..." They had another great song called "Western Union." They were out of southeast Oklahoma.)

Heroes and Villains-- Beach Boys--- one of the most anticipated releases. Not the same vibe as "Good Vibrations."

Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song)-- Buckinghams-- Brand new single (Chicago band named after the Buckingham Fountain, not Buckingham Palace, but the British thing, you know. Another Chicago band of the time was the already mentioned New Colony 6 and their British thing. The Buckinghams had already moved to California by then, however.)

Little Ole Man (Uptight-Everything's Alrght)-- Bill Cosby--- (Bill's a funny man, right! based on a Stevie Wonder song.)

Mr. Soul-- Buffalo Springfield--- flipside of "Bluebird", off "Buffalo Springfield Again" album. (One of my favorite bands. That was some talent with Steve Stills, Neil Young and the others.)

You Know What I Mean-- Turtles--- 3/4 time ballad. They pack a lot into just over two minutes.

Hey Joe-- Jimi Hendrix--- Everything was a-changing in a hurry, so fast musically. Spearheading some of the quickness was the cat-man by the name of Jimi Hendrix who released his debut album "Are You Experienced."   It came out 40 years ago this August. (A little over three years later, he was dead at age 28.)

San Franciscan Nights-- Eric Burdon & the Animals- (Pretty-well sums up the Summer of Love.

I Had a Dream-- Paul Revere & the Raiders--- (Speaking of British-influenced names. A bit of psychedelia from the pride and joy of the Pacific Northwest.

Last Hour Coming Up Soon. These Songs are Really Bringing Back Some Memories.

At one break, Bob said "The final weekend of freedom before going back to school. Labor Day weekend." Liz and I were trying to remember if that was true. School not starting until after Labor Day is a rarity today. My sister started back to teaching in Georgia on August 6th. My old school district in Round Lake went back August 13th. Back in 1967, almost all schools started AFTER Labor Day.

Was it a Simpler or Scarier Time Back Then. --RoadDog

No comments: