Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Rock & Roll Roots-- The River of Rock


Today, Bob Stroud is doing a Roots Salute to Bruce Springsteen who is turning 58 on this date. Stroud is playing both Bruce songs and covers he does in concert after cherry-picking through set lists going way back.

Just anything to make me feel older.

Again, you can listen to him live Sundays from 7 to 10 AM CST at www.wdrv.com .

I am going to take a look back at Stroud's August 26th show where he featured rock songs about rivers. He came up with 19 of them. He also played other songs during his three hour set. All comments are mine as I didn't get to listen to the show. I was on the road in Rockford, Illinois, on that day. These songs will be great to play during our next trip down the Fox River. I believe I have all of them somewhere in my collection.

1. Take Me to the River-- Al Green--- Who can sing better than the Reverend. That voice just does something to me. He didn't record for many years after he became a reverend, but his new stuff doesn't miss a beat.

2. Watching the River Flow-- Bob Dylan--- OK, he can't sing, but that voice just goes so well with his music.

3. Green River-- Creedence Clearwater Revival--- The CCR, the title of that great album, that not only I liked, but it was one of the BIG FOUR albums that my fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi, played at all our parties at NIU in 1970-1971. By the way, if I HAD to chose one favorite group of all time, it would be CCR. This is the only band back then that I automatically bought every new album release the day it came out. I just couldn't wait to get my CCR fix. Just had to have it!!!!!

4. Don't Cross the River-- America--- Could anyone do a better pop song and what great harmony.

5. Black Water-- Doobie Brothers--- Absolutely love that intro...and then they do that acapella thing near the end. Whoa Nelly! What a great song.

6. The River Hymn-- The Band--- Not familiar with this one, but since I have all the Band albums, I might have it.

7. River Deep, Mountain High-- Ike and Tina Turner-- What a pair, what a show. One of the best concerts I ever saw. How did Tina and the Ikettes keep those little-bitty dresses from falling off? They seemed to defy gravity.

8. Dirty Water-- Standells--- possibly one of the greatest opening riffs ever made. Bet you're humming it right now. Maybe even a little air guitar.

9. Yes, the River Knows-- Doors

10. Ferry Cross the Mersey-- Gerry & the Pacemakers--- A great song to slow-dance to, but wait, I'm too shy to ask that girl. What if she turns me down? This song always reminds me of MYF at the old Methodist Church in Palatine for some reason. Must have been on somebody's transistor radio or maybe we even had a dance. I just don't remember. I can just picture the scene. That'd be Methodist Youth Fellowship where we had to memorize all the books of the Bible in order.  (I can't name them anymore.)

11. Cripple Creek Ferry-- Neil Young--- Not sure that I've ever heard this one.

12. Boat on the River-- Styx--- Not sure about this one either. Could this be the one to cross the River Styx to you know where?

13. Cry Me a River-- Joe Cocker--- Great effort by Joe who is one of the few fellows I'll try to get up and do a karaoke song when I'm in the mood. And, I'm no big fan of karaoke. But, he can't sing either, but that "don't stop him none."

14. Riverside-- America

15. Proud Mary-- Creedence Clearwater Revival--- This one just HAD to be included. Another great CCR song that didn't reach #1.  You know, "Rollin' On the River."

16. Up on Cripple Creek-- The Band--- Another must-include song, even if it isn't a river. By my second or third favorite group. It's a tie between the Band and CSN or CSNY depending upon if Neil was on the ins or outs at the time. That'd be Crosby, Stills, and Nash for you youngsters.

17. Mississippi-- John Phillips--- Great first effort by former Papa after he split with the other Papa and the Mamas, including Michelle. The late-great John Phillips as of late.

18.. Yellow River-- Christie--- One-Hit Wonders, but WHAT a ONE HIT!!! Like Little Steven would say, I'd put this on my list of "Coolest Songs in the World." On more than one occasion I've played this song over and over and over; even as many as seven times. Have remote, will click!!! This did not please some others, but, hey, "Ya Gotta Go With the Flow When it Hits You."

19. Watching the River Run-- Loggins & Messina--- These days, that reminds me of sitting on the front porch of the historic Rose Hotel in downstate Illinois and watching the Ohio River flow by for several hours one spring.

Some other great songs in the show, but not about rivers

Peggy Sue-- Buddy Holly--- OK, everybody start stuttering
Please, Please Me-- Beatles--- I like the pre-Sgt. Pepper's stuff the best.
Just a Song Before I Go-- CSN
One Toke Over the Line-- Brewer & Shipley-- really like this song regardless of whether it's a druggie one or not. Also really liked "Tarkio Road."

What is Life-- George Harrison--- Great post-Beatles effort by George. Who'd have know he had so much talent after all those years being dominated by Paul and John. Also, a great opening riff.

Moondance and Tupelo Honey-- Van Morrison (must have been his birthday).
Good Morning, Good Morning-- Beatles--- Great introductory sounds
Have I the Right-- Honeycombs--- A song that brings me back to junior high, 8th grade I believe.

Great Show, as Usual. If there is anyone who knows more about the music of the 60s and 70s than Bob Stroud, I'd sure like to know who that person might be.

Proud Member of the Stroud Crowd. --RoadDog

No comments: