Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Perennials---Lake County Historical Society-- 30th Day Boating


Yesterday, I planted the rest of my perennials thanks to the cool temps and we finally had some wind which grounded most of the skeeters. Without wind, they rise up almost in squadrons reminiscent of WWII movies about bombing raids. I sure hope I don't break down again and buy anymore perennials. I need to STAY out of garden nurseries!!!

Gas is DOWN to $2.99 (that's $2.98.9 to most people). Still WAY TOO expensive, but at least it is going in the right direction.

Drove to Mundelein in Chicago's Northwest Suburbs, and met up with Clancy for some NTN and pizza at Emil's Sports Bar on US-45. They also had a special on something they called white bean chili that looked really good.

We then drove over to the nearby Fremont Library (Fremont Township) where we were going to provide support for our SCV, Sons of Confederate Veterans, commander who was giving the keynote address.

These folks were primarily interested in genealogy. When I introduced myself as a guest, someone asked whose surname did I use to get into the SCV. I replied "Hood." John, our commander, told them where they could look for information on Confederates ancestors and talked about our organization and Camp Douglas where 6000 of 12,000 Confederate prisoners died. That number shocked the crowd. Everyone always hears about the tragedy at Andersonville, but not about how bad the Union prisons were as well. There was also a discussion about slavery and whether it was the real cause of the war. These people really heard "the other side."

Today, I went out in the boat for the 30th time. I put in five more gallons, which brings me to 20 gallons used for the season. I know people who go through up to 50 gallons on one day. And gas on the water is usually about 50 cents to a dollar more than on land. Of course, I usually go for a short cruise and then just float. I really enjoy sitting out there, reading a newspaper or magazine, and listening to tunes from a cassette (yes, I still use cassettes) or the Drive, 97.1 FM.

I'm hoping to get to 40 boating expeditions before we put the boat up in about a month.

Came home, and had to do some yardwork and cut the grass again. All this rain and cooler temps is grass nirvana.

A Bad Day of Boating is Still Better Than a Good Day at Work. But, Being Retired...--RoadDog

No comments: