Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Watchin' the Doggies Run


New Year's Eve, my buddy Bob called from out in Iowa to say Little Tommy and some of the other Magee (now Round Lake Middle School) teachers were getting together at the Dairyland Park in Kenosha on the 3rd to bet on the dog races.

I drove the thirty miles there and paid $1 to park (hear that Chicago) and got to waive the usual $3 ticket to get in (something about senior day on Wednesdays). Went upstairs to the clubhouse and that is a great place to watch the race, either live or on TV. For some reason, there were a lot of "old folks" in attendance.

Little Tommy has a reputation of betting on any and everything and he was living up to it. Fortunately for him, he is usually lucky when it comes to betting. Not only could you bet on the dog race, but there were several horse races going on. Good thing he is in such good shape as he was constantly running up to counter to place bets.

Bob retired from Magee two years before me, but still has kids in college so is teaching at a Catholic school in Mt. Prospect. Mike retired this past June. Little Tommy, Jason, and Terri are still teaching, but Little Tommy will be retiring in five years, but the other two have a long way to go.

I ended up losing $10, which is not bad for me. I know that I don't have a lot of luck, so bet in moderation. Plus, you know, I'm on what they call a fixed income.

Love the Names of Those Dogs. --RoadDog

No comments: