Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

That Dear Old Fraternity of Mine

Delta Sigma Phi Members in Congress and Government.

While going to Northern Illinois University, I belonged to the Delta Sigma Phi National Fraternity. I even tried to get a colony started at the University of Georgia, but nothing ever came of it.

The fall 2007, issue of the Delta Sig Carnation gave a list of Delta Sigs in the US Congress.

The first one was James J. Davis, who attended Pittsburgh '23 who became a Congressman in 1930.

Currently, there are four brothers:

Senator Tom Harkin, Iowa State '60 (D-Ia)
Congressman Bob Inglis, Duke '79 (R-SC)
Congressman Todd Tiahrt, South Dakota School of Mines '70 (R-Ks)
Congressman Mike Turner, Ohio Northern '79 (R-Oh)

Also, Rick Graber, Duke '75 is US ambassador to Czech Republic

James Holsinger, Duke '58, has been nominated to be US Surgeon General.

Not bad for a Little Old Fraternity. RoadDog

2 comments:

Bruce Hammond said...

Hey RoadDog-

I also wanted to let you know that we have now started a chapter at the University of Georgia, and it has chartered as our Theta Chi chapter. It actually received the Pyramid of Excellence, the Fraternity's top honor, at this past summer's Convention in Phoenix, AZ.

Just thought I'd add to your post.

YITBOS,
Bruce Hammond
Editor, The Carnation magazine

RoadDog said...

I am glad to hear we finally got on the campus.

I had all the paperwork squared away and think that the powers that be were about to accept it when a Willie Wooten, a member of Acacia Fraternity, which had become defunct, interceded and the group, which we called Sigma Tau Epsilon local, became that fraternity. Willie had some pull with the famous Dean Tate.

I had pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon when I got to Georgia, but missed Delta Sigs, so started a small group of friends. We visited the chapter at Georgia Tech and Wofford (I think) University in SC.

They were a big help.

I left Georgia and went back to Northern Illinois for my senior year.

I understand Acacia is no longer on campus.

Thanks for the update.

YITBOS-- Don Hatch