Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Old Hall Pass

I've decided the time has come to throw lots and lots of stuff out. I'm more than a bit of a pack rat and just have too much stuff.

However, this process is a very long one. Everything has to be carefully examined, you know.

I was going through a box of my school stuff and came across a small metal tray (about 4 x 8 inches) that I used to use as a hall pass. It had my name and room number, 227, written on it. I used it for several years at Magee Middle School in Round Lake, Illinois.

I really hated writing up the hall passes when a kid had to go somewhere, usually to the bathroom. It really interrupted class. I'd just gesture to my desk and the student would get it and be on their way.

One teacher, Sharon Pinter, got into a bit of trouble with the office when she had the kids carry a regular toilet seat when they had to go. It was deemed as too demeaning, but hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

The office eventually wouldn't allow us to give a regular pass like these as they needed to know time and where the kids were headed. Believe it or not, some of those young scamps, 7th and 8th graders, abused the privilege and would roam far and wide.

Instead of going to the bathroom right down the hall, they had to go to the one on the other side of the school. Anybody trying to get out of class here?

Ah, the Good Old Days. --RoadDog

No comments: