Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Britt's and No Duh!!!

Yesterday was National Doughnut Day and NO one told me!!! I wouldn't have minded going over to the local Dunkin' Donuts for a fix.

The Serious Eats website established a first-ever Serious Eats Doughnut Honor Roll. They listed great doughnut eats from most US states.

North Carolina was represented by two places. One was Krispy Kreme, which, although a chain, had its first store in Winston-Salem. I am quite fond of these treats, especially when I'm in a store where you can watch them being made on those conveyor belts.

I liked the second one even better; long-time family favorite Britt's Donuts located right on the boardwalk of Carolina Beach. It has been selling those great doughnuts since 1939. You get that aroma in the air well before you get there, and I doubt that you'll be able to walk by without stopping.

This is a no-frills place, essentially a counter with stools under a glaring light that would be just perfect for getting a confession, and warnings not to use their bathrooms unless you're a customer. You get a full view of the doughnut preparation area, not much could be finer than being in Carolina enjoying the sweetness and lighter than air taste. If they had a phone, I'd contact them and let them know of the honor they received.

A word of caution though, these are best eaten right away. They have no preservatives. I once got a dozen before going back to the cottage, anticipating that great taste the next morning. It was not what I expected to say the least.


And now, NO DUH!!!!-This month, Nielsen Media Research did a look at American viewing habits on DVRs (well, I'm still a bit behind the times and use a VCR) and shock of all shock, found that people fast forward through the commercials. Now who would have ever figured that? I've gotten very good at it on the VCR and can usually stop it right when the show comes right back on. They could have asked me and just given me the money.

Eatin' Donuts and Fast-Forwardin'. --RoadDog

No comments: