Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Instrumentals, NASTY SONG, Red Song by Blue Guy, a Country Song, a Movie Song from June 1962


What were you listening to back in June of 1962. Me...Nothing. I wasn't into music at that time. And...I was alive and old enough to; I just did not listen to music on the radio. That epiphany took place in early 1964, when a group of four lads from Liverpool kind of shook my world. It hasn't been sane since then.

Yesterday, while looking at the True Oldies website www.947trueoldies.com I also saw a WLS Chicago Silver Dollar Survey for this week in 1962. Now, this was pre-'64, so I didn't listen to the songs at the time, but have since become acquainted with them, well most of them. They bring back no memories as such.

There were two instrumentals, a NASTY song, a red song by a blue guy, a country song, and a John Wayne/Jimmy Stewart movie song. See if you can figure them out.

1. The Stripper- David Rose- pretty easy to guess which one this one was. Also an instrumental.
2. I Can't Stop Loving You- Ray Charles- Brother Ray can do it all, including crooning a country song. I once read that he told songwriters to just bring him a good song and he would make it a Ray Charles song- meaning great. This is not the country song I mentioned, though.
3. Liberty Valance- Gene Pitney- one of Liz's favorite movies (although this song was not in the movie). She made four trivia games on it at www.funtrivia.com The movie? "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". Was it John or Jimmy?

4. Palisades Park- Freddy Cannon- as in "Boom Boom"- Hey, I want to go on the merry-go-round, forget the roller coasters, they scare me too much.
5. Roses are Red- Bobby Vinton- he of all those blue songs like "Blue Velvet" actually changed colors.
6. Violetta- Ray Adams- never heard of this one

7. Stranger on the Shore- Mr. Acker Bilk- the second instrumental- one of the great sax songs ever.
8. Cindy's Birthday- Johnny Crawford- one of the original all-time gag songs by the "Rifleman's son".

9. West of the Wall- Toni Fisher- never heard of this one either
10. It Keeps Right On a Hurtin'- Johnny Tillotson- The title should have given this one away. How much more country can you get? Oh yes, "Take This Job and Shove It" or perhaps "Don't Come Home a Drinking with Lovin' on Your Mind" or "My Head Hurts and My Feet Stink" or "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone." Now, those are some great country titles.

I'm sitting here listening to "Fessa John Hook, the voice of Beach Music, and he just said this is the 20th anniversary of the filming of "Dirty Dancing" at Lake Lure Lodge up in the mountains of NC. I always thought it was in New York. They're having a celebration there and the "Fessa will be there.

Time Warping Back to '62. --RoadDog

No comments: