Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, June 15, 2007

I Get to Meet a Cicada!!!


Much has been made about this "invasion" of the 17 year cicadas here in the Chicago area. There really hasn't been much to it as far as I'm concerned. If they're here, I'm not seeing them.

I did see one meeting its demise in the beak of a sparrow a few weeks ago (see earlier posting). There are very few in Chicago and it seems that the close-in suburbs like Highland Park and Lake Forest have huge numbers. I know of none here in Spring Grove.

I wouldn't expect any here at the house, as it was built in 1992 and cicadas don't do well where the soil has been disturbed. Plus, back in 1900, our house was in some farmer's field. (Our subdivision, Orchard Bluff Estates, also had a treed area and apple orchard).

Yesterday, after visiting with Liz's mom Frances in Woodstock (right on the historic square), I got to see one up close and personal. I'd just gone to the 1890s Opera House (formerly City Hall) to buy a ticket to the upcoming Asleep at the Wheel show later this month. This is one of my favorite groups who do my absolute favorite version of "Get Your Kicks on Route 66". I have most of their albums (for you younger folks, that would be CDs). They play a lot of the Western Swing music as popularized by Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys in the 40s.

On the way back, I saw a younger couple, probably about 18), and the guy was busily stomping something in the grass. I asked him if it was a cicada and he said yes. It had flown onto him and scared him. That cicada will scare no more people. I told him that was too bad, as I really wanted to see a cicada and hadn't seen one up close. By the way, the Woodstock Square dates from the 1850s, so there are some very old trees in it.

He said there was another one on the other side of the tree. I looked and there was!!! I picked it up and looked into those red bulging Marty Feldman (I'm watching "Young Frankenstein" right now; for the first time-ever) eyes. One of its wings was partly gone, so it couldn't fly away, but it did make quite a buzzing sound. This is one ugly insect and thankfully, they don't bite.

I have seen people putting netting on newly planted trees (which can be damaged by them). Plus, Walgreens is selling "I Survived the 17 year cicadas" teeshirts. Bob, you will be happy to know I didn't buy one. Why should I, I haven't really seen enough to make it true?

On the way home from Woodstock, I took one of the most beautiful drives anywhere I've ever seen, down Bull Valley Road, which is canopy for much of the way. At one point, I pulled over and turned down the sound on my new Toby Keith "Big Dog Daddy" album (CD for you younger folk) and had a listen. Supposedly, the male cicadas put out a big sound, akin to standing within 100 yards of a jet takeoff, while trying to attract a mate. I could hear something off in the distance, but don't know if it was the Sound of the Cicada.

Fly to Me, Fly to Me, You Ugly Cicadas. --RoadDog


No comments: