Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Old BS'er and Beach Music


A&E did not have "24" on today at 7 AM our time, Central, so I went on the internet. I'm sitting right here at the old 'put, typing away with my two little fingers, and listening to Billy Smith coming at me live on the Surf from Myrtle Beach, SC. I love it when he plays the phone pranks; can't help but chuckle.

He also played a great one I haven't heard in a long time with his 50s pick, "Over the Mountain" by Johnny and Joe.

Aw, it's 8:50 and he's going off the air with his usual "I'm Going, But I'll Be Back" song. I'll just have to listen to Ted Bell now.

The Surf is "The Sound of the Beach" on the Grand strand and the World.

I voted on the Beach Music Top Forty Survey already. Ray Scott plays this countdown every Saturday from 9AM to noon. Top songs for this week are #1 :I Don't Want No Man" by Sea Cruz, and #2 "Emperor of My Baby's Heart" by Paul Craver.

A little bit about Billy Smith:

Billy was born in Marion, SC. As a child, his mother would take the five kids to Myrtle Beach on Sundays after church where he would go to the Pavillion (torn down this last fall) and boardwalk where the sounds emanating from the jukeboxes in the various bars enthralled them with their rhythm & blues records.

He began a regular at the local Marion record store and spent every dime he could get his hands on for R & B and Doo Wop songs, both of which are considered the forerunners of today's Beach Music. More to Come

My dad sure knew someone who also would spend all his money on records, which he largely considered as a waste of money. I wonder who that could be? Any guesses?

I also knew of one certain brother who pretty-well messed up his brother's Beatles collection while that brother was away at college. Now, who could that be? These records were left at home for safety. Didn't quite work out.

Doing the "Street Corner Serenade" by the Embers. --RoadDog

No comments: