Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, June 4, 2007

Official Opening Day of Summer: Bar, Band & Beer


Yesterday was the official first day of summer for me. It was never the first day out on the boat, or first day of summer vacation.

It becomes official when we have our first Sunday afternoon party out at Captain's Quarters on Fox Lake. This is a tradition of many years, at least back to the early 90s. Every Sunday from 3 to 7, Captain's has a live band. Nothing much is better than sitting outside and enjoying some great music, friends, and drinks with the lake in view. Lots of boaters, but I wasn't one since I don't go out on the weekends. Too many Weekend Warriors.

Yesterday, I saw a new band called One Track Mind, who play nothing but One Hit Wonders, songs by groups who only had one big song. One set, they played "Back in Black" by Los Bravos, "What I Am" by Edie Brickell, and "One Toke Over the Line" by Brewer & Shipley; all back to back. These are songs I've never heard another band do and three of my favorites. The band consists of five members, mostly in their 40s and 50s.

I would have to question how One Hit Wonder Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs and Nancy Sinatra were, however. I can think of several hits for both.

Captain's Quarters has been owned by the same couple since about 1992. They have turned what once was a dump into a top Chain of Lakes destination. There is a huge new outside area including a bar, picnic tables, and large canvas-covered pavillion.

They have $3 meals Mondays through Thursdays, as well as 25 cent wings on Thursdays. Definitely a great place to go.

Summer and the Chain--That's the Ticket. --RoadDog

No comments: