Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

As We Continue the Demise of My Places and Stuff

I am preparing to send in my last card to BMG Music, the sole remaining of the old mail-order music clubs. I'll miss them tremendously.

I always looked forward to the arrival of that magazine just packed with recordings. I probably joined back in high school, but really became a member back in the 70s when I was order LPs. That introductory offer of 12 or more LPs for $1.99 was just too much to resist. Even the mandatory purchases requirement was acceptable. Of course, I still and always have hated the high postage and handling charges, where they actually make their money.

Probably the biggest problem was having to send the card back in time, OR, receive that month's selection automatically. I received lots of unwanted LPs and later CDs, many of which were returned. Many times, I would go through a pile of old letters and find one or more of the cards.


LAST DAYS

There was RCA Records and Columbia House. Just a few years ago, Columbia House was bought by BMG. Now BMG is on the way of cassette tapes and VCRs. They have been pushing ever since they acquired Columbia House to get me to go "Green," (their savings on printing and postage, and, oh, yes, my stamps). I have resisted, and that is why I got the LAST MAILING last week.

How many of you have ever belonged to a record club? Any memories? How many selections did you get by forgetting to return the card?

Might as well start looking at the catalog and filling in those little squares. I'm not sure I will continue with the new thing replacing it. Plus, CDs are on their way out as well.

I'll Miss It, But What Else is New. They're Taking All My Stuff From Me. --RoadDog

No comments: