Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Whole Lotta Karaoke-ing Going On Out There-- Part 1: Me and the Mic

From the June 1-7, 2014, American Profile Magazine "Why we Love Karaoke" by Neil Pond.

Would that have been the name of Jerry Lee Lewis' song had he released it today?

The Japanese translation means "empty orchestra."  And, that is where it started.  But, karaoke is anything but dull and boring.  And, all sorts of folks get up on stage (or floor) and give it the old college try.  There are  even competitions.

I know that I have even gotten up to sing on occasion.  Liz won't after an unfortunate attempt at "Sentimental Journey" that was even more unfortunately recorded.  When she heard it the next day, there was not much of a chance she'd ever get up there again.

Usually, it takes me some "fortifying" to get up there.  Something else that helps is the person that goes up and completely botches it.  But by the time my name is called, the person before me is always really good, making me a sad contrast.

As a deejay when this started, I figured it would be a flash-in-the-pan and be over within a year.  Shows what I knew.

--RoadDog

No comments: